Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Fun with felting!

Hi Pholks! Yipee -- more procrastination! I am currently working on a baby bunting from The Yarn Girls' Guide to Kid Knits. I just finished one side of the split front and realized I mismeasured and it is an inch too short -- I hope that this thing is finished before she is old enough to go to college! I also have my first sweater still in pieces but plan on taking a finishing class to help me out since I have no idea what to do (I was purely a scarf person prior to this endeavour). I am also working on a poncho (two rectangles that are sewn together and I am going to add a split button up turtleneck thing to it -- more than likely this will be done when the weather is too warm to wear it as I am making it with chunky wool and an interesting koigu wool for contrast). Also working on a shawl out of rowan silk haze mohair. The pattern has some lacework at the edge which I scewed up a bit at the beginning but that stuff is a bear to rip out so I am hoping that it won't be so noticeable. Also working on a scarf with a sort-of basket weave type yarn-over pattern (also using that Plymouth baby alpaca -- so yummy!).

As you can see, I pick up projects before I finish them (also reflective of my attitude towards the diss!) and thus I am striken by an insatiable desire to learn how to felt because I want to make this http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTfrenchmarket.html (sorry -- don't know how to make the link pretty). Has anyone felted before? I have no idea whatsoever about how to do this but, man, does that bag look neat!

3 Comments:

Blogger botanicallyhip said...

Felting is a total blast! I learned how to felt from combed wool last year (not from knitted objects, actually creating felted fabric the old fashioned way). It is super messy, sudsy, and water gets everywhere but so much fun.

It is funny that you mentioned th French market bag from Knitty, because I started one last year...even posted during the knit along a few times, but ended up putting it aside after awhile. I really should pick it back up again and finish it. If you do start that project, let me know because I could use a little push :-)

8:13 AM  
Blogger Dissie Chick said...

Sounds great! I will ask at my local yarn shop about getting started on the project and what they would use for materials.

Hooray! A knitting buddy! I will keep you posted.

BTW: Does felting make a mess of the washing machine? I don't have laundry here and would have to go to a laundrymat or could use the one that DH's landlady in CT has (but I don't want to do that if it makes a mess).

8:35 AM  
Blogger botanicallyhip said...

Yeeup... felting certainly can do a number on a washing machine. This site is cool (you probably already found this though...gotta love Knitty!

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATfelting.html

But, be careful with using your washing machine to felt! See this:
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2004/03/09/clog_blog.html

I put my work in a pillow case before putting it in the washer, which seems to work (at least so far!).

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home