Monday, February 14, 2005

DNA scarf first impressions

Someday I will find my camera cable and I will post some pictures! I've done 1.5 reps, and it is exciting to watch it take shape.

I started the DNA scarf on circular needles, and then discovered that I hate knitting on circulars for such small needles. I like to hold my needles at about a 120 degree angle, and the cable just jerked the needles around too much for me. So I'm doing it on straight needles now. All of the pictures of the DNA scarf in progress online have been on circular needles, so I must be a Luddite or something.

The yarn is a bit thinner than I would like. Even though it is a close match for the yarn in the original scarf (weight vs. length), it is ending up a bit "lacy." I would rather have a bit bulkier yarn that didn't show any holes. I think it would be a bit easier for me to knit, too, since the stitches are loose and keep wanting to twist on the needles. I will be curious to see, though, whether washing and blocking at the end will make the finished product more like the oringinal scarf.

My mini-cables on the side are backwards, but as long as I am consistant I don't think it matters!

I really want the scarf in green - I was afraid the cables wouldn't show up well, but this one in green makes me want to go for it. The one I'm working on now will be a gift -- since it is for someone a little over 5 feet, I will likely only do four repeats instead of five (ah, laziness!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home